Friday, June 20, 2014

Flat-hunting in Graz

Currently I am living on my own in a small flat here in Graz but next year I am moving in with a friend of mine. Right now we are looking for a new flat. Finding the perfect place is harder than I expected. The first few viewings were total failures. 





There are several groups on Facebook where people look for a next tenant. The good thing is, no realtors are involved. On the other hand, you never really know what you have to expect. On one of those sites I found THE PERFECT apartment. I was really enthusiastic about it. The description sounded really good: 2 bedrooms about the same size, a nice kitchen, two bathrooms and a large balcony. And the best thing was: The building was situated next to the Mur and near the city centre - a perfect location. The price was okay, so I arranged a viewing right away. I couldn't wait to tell my friend about it. A couple of days later Kata came to Graz and we wanted to have a look at the apartment together. We were really excited! As we drove there we were fantasizing about long summer evenings, sitting on our big beautiful balcony, drinking cocktails and enjoying the beautiful view over the Mur. 

Then we arrived. The whole package was literally too good to be true. And as you can imagine, the flat had a stinger. From our beautiful large balcony, we had quite a view; it was just not what we expected. The flat was situated on the backside of the house and behind the building there was a big garbage dump.

We were really disappointed, but it was our very first viewing. 


So we kept looking for the perfect flat and just a couple of days later we found another offer that sounded quite interesting. Good location, 2 bedrooms, a nice bathroom and convenient rent. Unfortunately Kata couldn't make it that day so I went to the viewing by myself. The first impression was fantastic. The flat was located in a beautiful old building, and the apartment itself was perfectly adequate for a communal residence.  Along with me, two other girls had a look at the flat. At the end of the viewing I was sure that I had found the perfect place for us. I immediately called Kata afterwards and went into raptures about the flat. She was very enthusiastic about my descriptions too so I called the owner to arrange a second viewing for the next day, when Kata was available too. Just minutes later the landlord called me back to tell me that the two other girls had already given him their word to take it. 



We certainly weren't lucky until now, but we keep looking and we will hopefully find the perfect place soon.


We certainly weren't lucky until now, but we keep looking and we will hopefully find the perfect place soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment