Friday, June 20, 2014

Culture Days


Culture days are over and I have to say that I learned a lot about American and Irish culture. I attended about 15 presentations and each of these people did a good job. Of course I liked some better than others, not always because of the topic, but because of the way they the topic was presented. Were they enthusiastic about their topic? Did they include interesting details and examples? Were they able to get my full attention? 
Sadly I wasn't able to watch all presentations I wanted to but I did watch some I didn't intended to originally. Sometimes I was positively surprised because the title didn't give much away about the topic and sometimes I was quite disappointed. 


5 of the presentations I liked best:  

Arab Americans after 9/11
Arab Americans after 9/11 was the first presentation I watched on Monday. I wanted to attend this presentation because it is connected to my own topic, Guantanamo. It was really interesting to learn about problems, Arab American people had to face after the assassinations. I learned about shocking facts and Andreas pointed out some good examples. 

College Life in the USA
I was really interested in the topic and I think Elodie did a great job presenting it. I really liked her prezi, it fitted the topic and looked really professional. Comparing American and French schools was a good idea. Like many other students all I knew about Campus Life in the US I took from American teeny movies. Learning that in reality it is quite the same was really interesting. Additionally I learned something about French universities which are quite similar to Austrian universities. 

Two Famous American Women poets
I have to admit I didn´t plan to watch this presentation but Magdalena did so well that I decided to put her topic in my top 5.  It was very nice to hear her talking. She had a good pronunciation and talked slowly and fluently. She presented her topic very self- confidently. In my opinion she did everything correctly. Since she presented two famous women poets she also read out a poem of each of them. After she had told us something about both women, she let us guess which one belongs to whom. 

American Indian Boarding schools
I wanted to watch this presentation because I have never heard anything about American Indian Boarding schools and I thought it might be interesting. Also I was really interested in the CLIs related to Native American history. The presentation really did live up to my expectation and I really enjoyed it. 



Other presentations I watched:
  • David Norris' contribution to LGBT rights in the Republic of Ireland
  • Charlie Wilson's war 
  • The Black Power Salute at the Olympic Games 1968
  • What did Fenian Brotherhood achieve with their raids on Canada
  • Irish as an official EU language
  • Massace at Virginia Tech
  • America's Gun Culture
  • The origin of the Chinese American Culture
  • Rosie the Riveter
  • HIV and discrimination

No comments:

Post a Comment