Saturday, June 14, 2014

Australia's Deadliest

This summer I am going to work in a typical Bavarian restaurant. I am going to wear my Dirdl and serve a lot of Weißwurst and Beer. But here is the best part:  I am also going to improve my English skills. 
How come? This special Bavarian restaurant is neither located in Germany, nor anywhere else in Europe. It takes me 36 hours to get there, changing planes twice. It is located in Australia, near the city of Melbourne and it is going extraordinary well. 



Germans Down Under

During the post-war period many Germans emigrated to Australia and settled down. At that time Australia was very supportive towards immigrants. By 1991, there were 112,000 German-born people in Australia and the Germans formed the 4th largest non-English- speaking ethical group on the continent. You see, a Bavarian Restaurant should be very popular not only among tourists but also among the many people with German roots who long for a small piece of homeland. 

Australias Deadliest


I have always wanted to visit Australia one day and this summer my dream is actually coming true. I couldn´t be more excited about my trip. Well, until last week when made a "deadly" mistake watching the series "Australia's Deadliest" on National Geographic. My excitement slowly turned into horror as the documentary went on. I thought to myself repeatedly "Everything will be fine. You are not going to die" to calm myself down, just as my boyfriend turned to me and said: "You are going to die".
Practically everything that crawls on this continent and swims in it´s waters is able to kill you in one or another way - at least that was my impression. The documentary left me horrified.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to this adventure, somehow feeling like Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, hoping to survive ;)

To share my excitement with you I have listed the top five of "Australia's Deadliest" for you. Enjoy!


5. Saltwater Crocodile


Saltwater crocodiles are known for their viciousness and aggression. The largest animal of this species ever measured was a 6.4 metre bull.  However there are unverified reports of crocodiles up to 8 metres. 



4. Eastern Brown snake


These snakes are very fast-moving and bad tempered. The eastern brown snake together with other brown snakes is responsible for more deaths per year than any other group of snakes. Their venom is ranked as the second most toxic in the world. It causes progressive paralysis and stops the blood from clotting. Victims collapse within minutes. 





3. Sydney funnel web spider

The Sydney funnel web is without doubt the deadliest spider in Australia, maybe the world. It produces large amounts of highly toxic venom and is equipped with long fangs (even longer than the fangs of a brown snake) to inject it. Their venom attacks the human nervous system and alters the function of all organs. Thank God there is effective antivenom. 

2. Irukandji


This deadly jellyfish is tiny and almost invisible in the water. When stung, the venom causes fatal brainhaemorrhages. Each year 50 to 100 people are sent to hospital.



1. Box Jellyfish


The scars of  a Box jellyfish attack
The Box Jellyfish has a danger rate of 10/10. It is responsible for 99 % of all the recorded deaths caused by jellyfish. Their long tentacles are almost invisible. Additionally they are provided with millions of harpoons that inject a lot of venom at once. The venom kills the victim in minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment